Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Welcome to Crowley Cares
Your good intentions automatically multiplied!
To give provides our lives with a purpose. We can give love, kindness and compassion, but we can also give by donating our time, talent or money. When you choose to donate monetary funds whether it’s a one-time donation or ongoing, through the Crowley Cares Foundation, the amount given is automatically doubled by a matching donation into the Foundation for up to $2,000 per employee, annually.
The Foundation will transmit the full amount of your donation plus a 50 percent match to benefit your chosen charity. The remaining 50 percent match will be distributed to charitable organizations at the direction of the Crowley Cares Employee Committee to promote Crowley's educational, health and wellness values.
- What does the Crowley Cares Program consist of?
a. The Crowley Cares Foundation- This new charitable organization is one of the main vehicles for Crowley and Crowley employees to contribute to worthy causes. It is described below.
b. Volunteerism- The Crowley Cares Committee is the primary group coordinating employee engagement and Company resources in volunteer efforts that support that Company's primary goals of advancing health, education and wellness.
c. Corporate Engagement– The Company provides financial support to worthy causes in various ways, including through the Crowley Cares Committee, which is responsible for distributing a portion of Foundation resources, as well as Business Unit and Corporate giving based on the Company's Donation Policy.
d. Scholarships- The Crowley Family Foundation and other Crowley groups provide scholarships to carefully selected students at several educational institutions.
- What is the Crowley Cares Foundation
The Crowley Cares Foundation, a non-profit organization established in 2015, is the primary vehicle for making charitable contributions by the company and, on a voluntary basis, by employees. The Foundation’s goal is to harness the energy, goodwill and insights of Crowley employees to increase and improve the amount and impact of Crowley’s charitable giving in the communities it serves.
- Why should I give through the Crowley Cares Foundation and matching gift program?
- By donating to the Foundation, employees drive multiple benefits to charities that they choose. First, the amount given by an employee to the Foundation is automatically doubled by a matching donation into the Foundation by the Company, up to $2,000 per employee annually.
- Second, the Foundation will transmit the full amount of the employee's donation to the charity designated by the employee - and automatically add 50 percent to benefit that charity. The remaining 50 percent will be distributed to charitable organizations at the direction of the Crowley Cares Employee Committee to promote Crowley's educational, health and wellness values.
- What is IRC Section 501(c)(3)?
IRC Section 501(c)(3) is a section of the Federal Tax Code which establishes the criteria for tax exempt charitable organizations. An organization must have IRC Section 501(c)(3) status (be tax exempt) in order to receive matching funds. Note that not all IRC Section 501(c)(3) organizations qualify for the program.
- How do I know if my charity qualifies for the match?
You can search for your charity in the IRS database to identify if it is eligible for tax-deductible charitable contributions.
- Does the Crowley Cares Foundation match donations to religious organizations?
The Crowley Cares Foundation does not match contributions to religious organizations, meaning houses of worship (e.g. churches, temples, synagogues, mosques, etc.) that primarily promote religious instruction. However, religious organizations may be eligible if they primarily provide social services (such as food pantry, education, emergency relief, etc.) and do not require participation in religious activities as a condition to receiving such services.
- Who is eligible to participate in payroll deductions and receive the 50% match?
Full-time administrative employees based in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. The 50% match is available to all qualified employees giving up to $2,000 per employee annually.
- How can I donate through the Crowley Cares Foundation and receive a 50% match to my donation?
1. Recurring or one-time payroll deduction donation: complete and submit the “ Employee Giving Payroll Deduction Match Form ” which is reviewed and submitted to Payroll upon confirmation of the qualified organization(s) you select. Forms are reviewed at the end of each month, and will begin on your first paycheck in the month following your submission. If received less than 10 business days prior to your paycheck date, it will then rollover to your following paycheck.
2. One-time check donation: print and complete the “ Employee One-time Check Donation Form ”, make your check payable to the ‘Crowley Cares Foundation’ and follow the steps on the form to send this document with your written check to the Treasury Dept.
- Can I cancel/change my payroll deduction at any time?
Yes, you can change the amount, who you’re donating to or cancel your deductions by completing and submitting the “ Employee Giving Payroll Deduction Change Form ”. Forms are reviewed at the end of each month, and changes will begin on your first paycheck in the month following your submission. If received less than 10 business days prior to your paycheck date, changes will then rollover to your following paycheck.
- Can I make a donation contribution via credit card?
Not at this time.
- Is there a deadline for forms to be received?
Yes, forms are reviewed at the end of each month, therefore any submissions and changes will begin on your first paycheck in the month following your submission. If received less than 10 business days prior to your paycheck date, changes will then rollover to your following paycheck.
- What are the reasons for denying matching requests?
The following are reasons requests are denied: designated organization does not have correct tax status or is otherwise ineligible; no response from organization for validation information; donation is below the $5 minimum; donor not eligible; or donor has exceeded annual matching limit.
- Is there a minimum donation amount?
Yes, there is a $5 minimum donation amount for both the recurring payroll deduction and one-time payroll deduction processes.
- Can I donate money to organizations located outside the United States through the Crowley Cares Foundation?
At this time, organizations must be U.S. or Puerto Rico-based, but may serve needs worldwide.
- Can my friends or family participate in the Crowley Cares Foundation matching program?
No, this is a program for Crowley employees only.
- What is the Crowley Cares Committee?
The Crowley Cares Committee is comprised of Crowley employees who represent a variety of locations across the Company who meet regularly to review employee Crowley Cares Support Requests, support the Crowley Cares Program and Foundation, create/support/encourage volunteerism within the communities where we live, work and do business.
- How can I get more involved with charitable giving and/or volunteerism at Crowley?
- How do I submit a Support Request to the Crowley Cares Committee for review?
Complete and submit the “ Crowley Cares Support Request Form ” which will be reviewed by the committee for approval or denial based on satisfying Support requirements, employee sponsorship, additional pending requests, funding, etc.
- If I have a question about my donation or the program, whom should I contact?
For questions or comments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .