Crowley has a long history of environmental protection. A Crowley Safety in Towing Handbook, published 20 years before the Oil Pollution Act of 1990, contains operational procedures to prevent spills that many years later became law. This early interest in keeping our harbors and oceans clean has developed into a strong company culture of environmental stewardship.
Today, our EcoStewardship continues with our focus on taking on greener technology, using more environmentally friendly operations and joining partnerships to help build a greener planet.
Crowley's environmental initiatives have led to special recognition from several prestigious government organizations, including the Chamber of Shipping of America, the U.S. Coast Guard's William Benkert Award for Environmental Excellence, Washington Department of Ecology Exceptional Compliance Program, Pacific States/British Columbia Oil Spill Task Force Legacy Award and the United States Green Building Council LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver Award Designation, among others.
- Crowley replaces engines in Los Angeles/Long Beach tugs to minimize emissions
- Crowley is building and operating the industry’s newest and most environmentally friendly Articulated-Tug Barges (ATBs)
- Crowley is acquiring and deploying the industry’s most energy-efficient and environmentally friendly refrigerated containers
- Crowley Leads the Way in Building and Operating Double-Hull Petroleum Barges for Coastwise and River Transportation in Alaska
- Crowley is using shore-side power (cold ironing) at various port locations to reduce carbon emissions
- Crowley moves to low sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel fuel to help reduce particulate matter from tug stack emissions
- Crowley's corporate office renovation promotes environmental sustainability
- Crowley Works to Clear the Air in the Puerto Rico/Caribbean Trade
- Crowley's Ocean Rangers Help Keep Alaska's Cruise Liners Environmentally Up-to-Date
- Crowley has partnered with the San Juan Bay Estuary Board and San Juan area schools to form an environmental program called Vigilantes del Estuario...
- Crowley works with Yukon River Intertribal Watershed Council to help remove debris and other junk from remote Alaskan villages
- Crowley’s Articulated Tug Barges (ATBs) are being built under the ABS Safehull program for environmental protection
- Crowley is an active participant in ABS’ Green Passport program, which enhances onboard vessel safety and environmental awareness
- Crowley is an active participant and supporter of the AWO’s Responsible Carrier Program, which integrates safety, environment and quality assuranc...
- Crowley Recognized for Environmental Stewardship
- Crowley Honored with Marine Environmental Business of the Year Award
Barging Right into LNG: "Marine Link" Highlights Jensen's LNG Play
Jensen Talks LNG with Professional Mariner
Crowley Honors USMMA Midshipman with the Company’s Maritime Security Enhancement Award
Crowley Honored with Marine Environmental Business of the Year Award
Crowley Christens New U.S. - Flag Tanker in Philadelphia